Friday, May 14, 2010

I Hate Running: Log 6 & 7 - A Love/Hate Relationship

I definitely forgot to do my running log last week. It was an amazing whirlwind of a weekend filled with impromptu visits with some of my very best friends -- blogging about my run was the last thing on my mind. And since this weekend is shaping up to be another busy one, I decided to get it done early, lest you think I've been slacking off ;)

As you may have noticed, I have endearingly termed my running log "I Hate Running" because I do... or, well, I used to. In reality, this weekly log is about the process of falling in love with running. I used to think I was just one of those people who would never be able to run. Now, not only am I running, but I'm actually enjoying it. Crazy!

Over the past two weeks, I have been noticing that I actually look forward to my running days. On my off days, I wish I was going running. When I get home, I feel like a million bucks.

Sure, I don't always love it when I'm actually out running. There are times when I have to fight with myself not end early because my legs start to feel like Jell-O or because it's really humid or because I have a blister. But, the thing that keeps me going is knowing that I will always feel awesome when I'm done.

Last week (week 6) my goal was to run 3 minutes and walk 2 minutes for 30 minutes total on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Wednesday, I ran for 4 minutes on a couple of my cycles and it was great! But, I also skipped running on Friday, which was not so great.

This week (week 7) my goal was to run 3.5 minutes and walk 2 minutes for 30 minutes total on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Monday was ok, I stuck pretty strictly to the 3.5 minutes. Wednesday was a particularly good day -- I ran for 3.5 for my first two cycles and then ran 5 minutes, 4.5 minutes, and 5.1 minutes. Today was a bit rough (SO humid!), but I managed to finish my run and pushed myself to run for 5 minutes on my last cycle.

Overall, it's been a good couple of weeks.

I feel like I can actually start referring to myself as a "runner" now. I kind of felt like a poser before because in reality, I was walking with some running thrown in. But, in the past 7 weeks (5 weeks, if you count my 2 weeks off with a bum knee), I've more than tripled the amount of time I can run at one time -- when I started, I could barely run for a minute straight and now I'm over 3 minutes -- and during the 30 minutes overall, I'm running more than I am walking. And, my running times will just keep getting better! That give me permission, right?

On another high note, I've lost 4 more L-B's since my last running log. That brings my grand total up to 11. Woot woot!

Next week, my goal is to run for 4 minutes and walk for 2 minutes, rinse repeat, for 30 minutes.



5 comments:

Amy said...

I already know this cause I saw you yesterday but... yay!

P.s. I have a new naaaaaammmmeeeee! :D

Vickie said...

Way to go Britt! Keep up the great work. And you are totally a runner, no questions about it.

Devon said...

wow. i need to exercise... you're bumming me out losing all of that weight! LOL! but congrats!!

Dalia (Generation X Mom) said...

Great job. I started like this last fall. I did the couch to 5K. Never a runner in my life. Then I started loving it just as you explained (not the running part, but the way it made me feel afterward). I felt the need to get up and run. Crazy!

Rock, Paper, Scissors said...

traffic from Pearly blogger. You are definitely going into my google reader. I am excited to read your I hate running posts. I hate running too (sometimes). :o)